5.20.2005

Friedman/Newsweek

I'm SO tired of Thomas Friedman's tics and repetitive hobby-horses. Today's column isn't even that bad, but still it somehow bugs me. I actually agree with what he's saying. It is scandalous that Muslims blow up other Muslims and no one in the Muslim world calls it murder. I guess that the logic is that anything that hurts the interests of the Americans (law and order in Iraq, for instance), is a victory. It's sick. But the Admin is more interested in flogging Newsweek for a mistake than thinking about America's long-term interests.

And on that subject, the idea of the Bush Admin chastizing a magazine for publishing 'facts' that are based on only one shaky anonymous source is so damn hypocritical. I mean, when the very same administration doing the chastizing took the country to war (over 1600 dead as of today) on the basis of intelligence that was shaky at best they should be silent on sourcing mistakes. They sold the nation on the intelligence that was twisted it to fit their ends and ignored the footnotes that made the intel seem very very questionable.