I agree with Friedman?
For once I just whole-heartedly agree with Tommy Friedman. His op-ed today just hits the nail on the head. We have to shut down Guantanamo Bay and the other war on terror gulags. They don't seem to serve any purpose and only enrage the rest of the world at our hypocrisy.
I'm convinced that within a few decades people will look back on the Guantanamo camp in similar ways to the Japanese-American internment camps in WWII. No doubt in my mind. The mindset is the same and the irrationality is the same. The only difference is that the Japanese internment camps were one of the only stains on FDR's record whereas Guantanamo is one of the MANY stains on GWB's record.
But back to Tommy F's point: Guantanamo is causing immense damage to our efforts to stamp out terrorism. I think the current leadership is SO tone-deaf to the perceptions of the rest of the world that this simply doesn't occur to them. But goddamn this one should be an easy one to figure out.
I'm convinced that within a few decades people will look back on the Guantanamo camp in similar ways to the Japanese-American internment camps in WWII. No doubt in my mind. The mindset is the same and the irrationality is the same. The only difference is that the Japanese internment camps were one of the only stains on FDR's record whereas Guantanamo is one of the MANY stains on GWB's record.
But back to Tommy F's point: Guantanamo is causing immense damage to our efforts to stamp out terrorism. I think the current leadership is SO tone-deaf to the perceptions of the rest of the world that this simply doesn't occur to them. But goddamn this one should be an easy one to figure out.
<< Home