7.13.2005

A few thoughts on Karl Rove

That's the headline of the lead NYTimes editorial today. I have a few thoughts of my own. I think he should be fired, arrested, tried and sentenced to sit in jail in the cell that Judy Miller vacates. The editorials says:
Mr. Rove gave Mr. Cooper a "big warning" not to "get too far out on Wilson." Mr. Rove said the origins of Mr. Wilson's mission were "flawed and suspect" because, according to Mr. Rove, Mr. Wilson had been sent to Niger at the suggestion of his wife, who works for the Central Intelligence Agency.
If that ain't leaking the name of a CIA agent and thereby endangering her, I don't know what is. And that's against the law:
50 USC 421(b)

Whoever, as a result of having authorized access to classified information, learns the identity of a covert agent and intentionally discloses any information identifying such covert agent to any individual not authorized to receive classified information, knowing that the information disclosed so identifies such covert agent and that the United States is taking affirmative measures to conceal such covert agent’s intelligence relationship to the United States, shall be fined not more than $25,000 or imprisoned not more than five years, or both. from atrios
I guess the law doesn't matter that much to these creeps. I just love that a couple years ago the administration said that whoever had leaked the Plame info would be fired, and now, oops....we are not commenting on the affair.

Meanwhile, the rightwing media (read: almost all the MSM) parses the legalities of what Rove might have said to try to figure out why it wasn't illegal.

My hopes of Rove actually getting fired are slim to none, leaning heavily toward none.

And I don't think the investigator, Fitzgerald, has the balls to indict him.